Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dreams and Nightmares

One of the side effects of using a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine while sleeping is (for me) vivid dreaming. I see lush colors and get involved in deeply convoluted dreams about which I care very deeply.

I'm not going to share much about last night's dreams, but if there was theme among them, it was something about having lots of acquaintances around me, being barely understood, and wanting to rescue relationships that seemed to be fading away . . .

Last night Quincy Dobbs and I went out for a beer at Club MI (once the Mary Inn?) and had one of the funnest times we've ever had shooting the (excrement). We shared some deep stories, joked about being church staff, and talked about complicated families. And the gay families we've built.

I put a fiver in the juke box and played schmaltzy ballads by Myriam Hernandez and some old Milton Nascimento and some in-your-face Marc Anthony. I was pleased to hear that Mark, an owner of the MI, used to play in a salsa/merengue band. We plotted about establishing a Latin dance night at the club . . .

My last stab at summer vacation begins this afternoon. I'm planning on taking a couple of days driving north, and hope to find my way to Chicago for Labor Day. Possibly connect again with another friend . . .

Tired this morning. The sounds of the day seem fuller, closer (road sounds, train whistle, an airplane). Air clear, Rats! Other people have their trash out, and I don't. Gotta go.

Good morning.

No comments: