Saturday, January 26, 2008

Rethinking the Color Line (I)



It is clearly premature to post on this topic. It is the title of a sermon I'm preparing for a weekend in February in Des Moines at First Unitarian Universalist Church. I originally planned on being their guest on or about Dr. Du Bois's birthday (February 23rd), but they were gracious to let me change my weekends when I was elected to the Heartland UU District Board of Trustees, which is meeting on that weekend. But I digress.

I know I'll post on this more fully again as the sermon gains more shape. But I will say that it has been a joy reading "the Old Man" this past week. "The Role of Africa" is more sociological/historical study, "The Autobiography" is a breezy and optimistic retelling of his life in his ninth decade (!), and, of course, "The Souls of Black Folk" sets out an essential perspective on the intelligence, culture, dignity of people of color.

What strikes me in a new way this time around is that the "color line" language is not only about the challenges of racism in this country, but a call for self-determination of all people of color in the world; an appeal for colonialism to be ended, but also for a unity among peoples of color so that the ways of enslavement and colonialization not be re-installed by people of color in systems of oppression that they impose.

My sermon is going to think some about how UUs are doing, a decade into our commitment to create an anti-racist, anti-oppressive, multicultural association. I'll sketch out some of my thoughts about how congregations might reflect the growing multiculturalism of our country. I think this is important.

But more importantly, I think, will be questions about our social values, and what we not only think but act around the southern Sudan/Darfur crisis, the Kenya humanitarian crisis, etc. What are the soul-moving economic and political responses we need to enact, and what is the humanist perspective and attitude that we need to bring to building appropriate relationships with other nations.

And, of course, in Flint, I need to ask the question of what it means that the (White) power structure and many Black communities are isolated from one another; that the lives of young people are considered problems to be solved rather than members of a multicultural tribe to be included, engaged, mentored, etc. etc.

Well, that's in the sermon (or will be, soon), and I'll let you know. For now, I am enjoying reading the Old Man.

Glad to be back in the Midwest, at home, in spite of this perpetually delayed sunrise!

Too cold! But crisp and clear. With a full day ahead and a pulpit exchange in the morning (Jackson, MI, congregation in E. Liberty).

No comments: