Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Still March . . .


As I watched the sun rise this morning (at 7:07, according to the almanac), I has the sense that we're coming around to "normal" daylight again. When the alarm goes off at 6:45, I have a sense that I am at the break of dawn, even though it is a little skewed by the good choice I made last summer to move into the big bedroom on the west side of the house. So as I sit at the computer in the east-facing "boys' room," (I'll tell you later. Remind me.), the colors of the sky are changing more completely than they are in the view from my bed. Finally, not to be bumping around in the dark!

But then I look at my planner, and see that Sunday will be the first day of Eastern Daylight Time this year. March 8th? I mean, come on! March 8? Sunrise goes back to being at 8 o'clock? Help!

Okay, okay, I know I'll get over it. But what a drag! It will mean a little more light at the end of the day, but we haven't even hit the equinox yet, and we'll be trading some afternoon light for a morning that is too too dark.

That's what I think.

March is a time for some traditions for me, including the month when I repot my house plants. I think I'm going to get a couple larger copper pots to the plants in the sun room (which grew into larger pots last year very quickly. I think the room can handle them, and they can use a little room. (Maybe I'll even post their pictures on the first day of sprig! Note to self . . .)
I am wandering in the yard each day talking to the plants and encouraging them to wake up. (The neighbors already know I'm crazy, and are just happy that there is one less vacant house in the neighborhood.) The tufts of thyme that I planned on making a little border between the lingon and dill and the lawn look like they are ready to grow into the role I chose for them--thank you, thyme!

Which brings me to the Pete Seeger song that inhabits my heart lately (don't know why).

     Old devil time, I'm gonna fool you now,
     Old devil time, you'd like to bring me down,
     But when I'm feeling low, my lovers gather 'round
     And help me rise to fight you one more time.

     Old devil fear, you with your icy hand, 
     Old devil fear, you'd like to freeze me cold 
     But when I'm sore afraid, my lovers gather 'round
     And help me rise to fight you one more time.

     Old devil hate, I knew you long ago
     Before I learned the poison in your breath
     Now when I hear your lies, my lovers gather 'round
     And help me rise to fight you one more time.

     No storm or fire can ever beat us down,
     No wind that blows but carries us further on.
     And you who fear, oh lovers, gather 'round
     And we can rise to sing it one more time.

Good morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, the picture at the front of this entry, is so beautiful, I could sink right into it.
Glad you are writing more.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, Rev. Good stuff. I'll be reading from now on.