Friday, May 29, 2009

Restless Night


I was unable to sleep last night, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I went to the ACLU of Michigan, Flint branch annual dinner last night, and was entirely captivated.(I'll write about Judge Paul V. Gadola, the "civil libertatrian of the year" award recipient, tomorrow.)

It may be that I had an accident yesterday. While pulling out of my driveway, I believe I struck and killed an opossum. Its body was was there, lying in the road, when I got back a couple of hours later. I don't remember hitting it, but I do remember seeing something, ever so briefly, in the rear view mirror as I turned onto Miller Road.

I called City Hall to figure out what to do, and was helped by June Urdy, who called the person responsible for picking up animal carcasses, usually pets, from the city's roadways. They promised to pick it up within a couple of days if I could move it to the side of the road.

And so it sits in a box at the end of my driveway. And I couldn't stop thinking of it last night (and even now). I'm not particularly upset about wanting to keep the opossums out of my yard, but I certainly don't feel the need to kill them. And especially to do so with my Buick.

I don't remember hitting it. I don't remember being in a particular hurry, or being particularly distracted, But there it was, and it reminded me of something of a shadow in my mind . . .

I need a nap! But not until after the Finance Committee meeting.

Good morning! (and isn't the back yard particularly green after a day and a half of drizzle, overcast skies, and out and out rain? Beautiful!) On to breakfast!

No comments: