Friday, November 30, 2007

Stress Tests

I am on my way to my second day of a cardiac stress test my physician requested. Yesterday was the day that the tech injected so e radioactive material into a vein, gave me a tall cup of water to drink and sat me in yet another waiting area, and then strapped me onto a very narrow bed around which a mechanized camera rotated to get good shots of my heart (while I was at rest) from many angles.

Today is the treadmill test. I used to walk a treadmill an hour a night three or four times a week when I lived next to the Boston Sports Club in Copley Square. But that was a long time (and many pounds) ago.

Right now, I just want to eat! I ate sensibly yesterday, and avoided caffeine all day. I developed a bit of a headache as the day went by (could be a virus that's going around, could be caffeine withdrawal) that persists now. I can't eat until after the test, and I've been asked to delay by blood pressure medication until after the test.

Before the test, I have one additional stressor. The Valley School is moving into our classroom wing at UU Flint today and tomorrow, and I am telling the 12-step groups that the room they've been using (and overwhelming) is now going to be an art class and cafeteria from 8 to 5 each weekday. This will mean that our lunchtime AA group and a Tuesday-Friday morning group will need to move to our larger Fellowship Hall for the next six months, and that other groups will need to pack up all their materials after each meeting. (These are not, in my mind, unreasonable requests!) But it does mean change, and people have a hard time with change.

Well, I'm off to the morning AA group, and then to the cardiac center. And then breakfast!

Cold out this morning, and a dark dark. Sunrise will happen at 7:44, says my almanac. I'll miss it today, just as I keep missing that last raking of leaves . . .

Good morning.

No comments: